Part of the Glyn Academies Trust

Family Information and Advice

If you would like to access the Surrey Local Assistance Scheme directly please go to:

Alternatively, the information  below will be helpful.


The Surrey Local Assistance Scheme is a discretionary fund run by Surrey County Council. It has been running since 1 April 2013. It provides financial help to Surrey residents who have nowhere else to turn in an emergency or after a disaster. It also can provide assistance to set up a home in the community where no other funds or resources are available.

Who can get help from the scheme?

To be eligible for the scheme you must be:

  • at least 16 years old
  • able to prove that you are a Surrey resident or prove that you have an intention to live in Surrey within the next 28 days
  • on a means-tested benefit or unable to access sufficient funds

You must also need:

  • emergency funds to meet the basic needs of yourself or your dependents and/or:
  • support to set up a home in the community

Support to set up a home in the community may be available where:

  • you are moving into a partially furnished/unfurnished property and
  • do not have basic essential household items/white goods and
  • do not have the means to provide these items for yourself.

There may be other exceptional circumstances which can be considered when you apply.

Applications for white goods/household items will be considered no more than one week prior to the tenancy start date.

If you are in need of emergency cash because you are waiting for your next benefit payment, before you apply to the LAS, you must first ask the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) at a Jobcentre Plus office if you qualify for a Short Term Benefit Advance. If you are applying for Universal Credit for the first time and you are in need of assistance you must apply for a Universal Credit Advance, ask your Jobcentre Plus advisor about this.

If you require assistance to set up home in the community and are in receipt of benefits, you may qualify for a Budgeting Loan, you must ask the DWP at a Jobcentre Plus office if you qualify before you apply to the LAS.

Who cannot get help from the scheme?

If your Job Seekers Allowance has been sanctioned by the DWP then you will not qualify for assistance. In this instance you must contact Jobcentre Plus to apply for a Hardship Payment, your eligibility for this will be assessed by the DWP. If you do not agree with your sanction you should appeal this decision to the DWP.

Awards would not normally be given for:

  • Replacement white goods and furniture
  • Television or satellite cost or repair
  • Housing costs (including moving costs), arrears or rent
  • Costs normally met by state support or benefits including Universal Credit
  • Debts
  • TV license
  • Installation of a telephone or telephone line
  • Costs associated with care provision
  • Non - essential white goods and domestic appliances
  • Utility, tax or insurance bills

Applying at a Citizen Advice Bureau

If you want to apply through the CAB please ensure you bring:

  • Your national insurance number
  • Proof of identity -  Driver's licence, birth certificate or passport and
  • Proof of address - Council Tax statement, tenancy agreement, or two recently dated bank statements or utility bills to show current address.

We may accept other proof and this will be discussed when you apply.

The CAB will listen to your situation and consider local support options – for example if you need food it may be that you can get essential supplies more quickly from a local food bank rather than through the LAS. They will refer to our eligibility criteria and advise you on available options. They may then assist you to apply online at the CAB if you have difficulty in applying yourself, or direct you to a local library to use the public computers to put in an application or, in very limited circumstances where you have no access to a working telephone, they may assist you to submit a telephone application

Caterham and Warlingham CAB

  • Soper Hall, Harestone Valley Road, Caterham, CR3 6YN
  • Telephone 01883 344777
  • Opening times Mon and Thurs 10am–3pm, Tue 10am–1pm, Wed 2pm–5pm